The Internet and, more importantly, your computer have become very dangerous places in the last 3-5 years. Organized crime syndicates have gotten involved and flooded the Internet with malware and scams that target your bank account. If this situation continues, I predict that the Internet will become “uninhabitable” by those of us that have the sense to avoid danger.
What are the biggest threats? According to a recent article by NETWORKWORLD.com, the 9 biggest security threats are:
1. Cyber crime syndicates like the Russian Business Network and others.
2. Small-time cons — and the money mules and launderers supporting them
3. Hactivists, political activists who hack to punish other organizations who they hate
4. Intellectual property theft and corporate espionage
5. Malware mercenaries
6. Botnets as a service
7. All-in-one malware
8. The increasingly compromised Web
9. Cyber warfare-Nation-state cyber warfare programs
Reference: Read NETWORKWORLD.com’s IT’s 9 biggest security threats for more details
More laws, and enforcement of them, are needed to keep our Internet from becoming an uninhabitable wasteland that we’ll tell our future generations “It used to be a great place until the crime made it too dangerous to use.”
What do you think? As always, I appreciate your comments on this subject…so please do. And be careful out there…it’s extremely dangerous these days.
Don’t miss an article. If you enter your email address in the Email Subscriptions box on the right column of this page, I’ll send you an email when a new article is posted. I don’t share your email address with anyone…no one; I hate spam too. Please share my site with your friends and family. Thanks.
Home computing is a blast…keep it safe, productive and enjoyable.